Happy New Year!
Jan. 1st, 2018 12:45 pmHello, all.
This is just a quick note to wish everyone a happy new year. With one thing and another, I've been a bit absent the last month, but I wanted to say how much I enjoy posting here and reading your thoughts about the words and ideas we share.
THANK YOU.
Here's to more interesting, wordy business in 2018!
This is just a quick note to wish everyone a happy new year. With one thing and another, I've been a bit absent the last month, but I wanted to say how much I enjoy posting here and reading your thoughts about the words and ideas we share.
THANK YOU.
Here's to more interesting, wordy business in 2018!
no subject
Date: 01/01/2018 07:29 pm (UTC)Perhaps we should compile a list of ways to say Happy New Year in different languages!
no subject
Date: 01/01/2018 11:16 pm (UTC)In German, my family would say "Frohes neues Jahr." Literally "happy new year." (There are other versions of this regionally, but this is a pretty standard one.)
There was also "Silvesterabend." (The Silvester in question is St. Sylvester and "abend" is evening.) That's how my mom would refer to NYE, but I never understood why until I got older. (In retrospect, it was kind of weird I never asked.) As a kid, all I could picture was...
no subject
Date: 01/01/2018 11:37 pm (UTC)Offhand I know Japanese, あけましておめでとう (akemashite omedetou - from akeru, "to begin", and omedetou being a general term of congratulations) and Chinese, 恭喜發財 (gōng xǐ fā cái - literally two terms meaning "congratulations" and "become rich", so it basically implies a wish of prosperity for the new year.) I also used to know Indonesian, but that one's slipped my mind in the preceding years.
no subject
Date: 01/01/2018 11:52 pm (UTC)I want to say there's a Scottish new year wish-- "lang may yer lum reek" --which has something to do with a wishing you always have a fire in your hearth. I think. My partner's dad was a Scot, so we have a lot of coffee mugs and tee shirts with weird expressions on them. It can be hard to remember what is for which. ☺
no subject
Date: 02/01/2018 12:36 am (UTC)That sounds familiar, yes. The Scots language is so interesting! One moment you're traipsing merrily along familiar language and then all of a sudden it's like you've fallen down the rabbit hole into some other world completely. I love it.